Monday, December 24, 2007

The BEST (and worst) of the YEAR

Here are my top 10 movies of 2007. I had a tough time narrowing it down to just ten since there were a lot of movies I really enjoyed this year. There are some movies that I've yet to see that if I had they may have made the list. Movies like "Gone Baby Gone", "The Nines" and "Juno" are examples of films I haven't seen as of yet, but I'm hoping I'll love. Most of the movies on my list are movies that kicked my ass, made me laugh or really made me think... But mostly kicked my ass. I'll leave brief descriptions on why I liked the movie and if I've reviewed it, I'll link to that story. Feel free to post your top 10 in the comments section.

10. Shoot Em' Up-
Definitely one for the ass-kicking category. This film was just pure fun. I think it didn't get the recognition it deserved, I think it will catch on once it's released on DVD. Read my original review here.
Photobucket

9. 3:10 To Yuma-
The movie that actually made westerns cool again. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are awesome as usual, with a surprising performance by the unhinged Ben Foster. Read my original review here.
Photobucket

8. Sunshine-
One of the best Sci-Fi movies in years. Danny Boyle reminds me why he's one of the best directors working today. Read my original review here.
Photobucket

7. 300-
A beautiful adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic novel, this movie was a blast to see on the big screen. Say what you will about the film, but no one can deny it gave us some of the most memorable movie quotes of the year. "THIS IS SPARTA!!", "TONIGHT, WE DINE IN HELL!"
Photobucket

6. Superbad-
One of the funniest movies of the year. That's all.
Photobucket

5. Planet Terror-
Notice I didn't include Death Proof, which was paired with this in theaters as Grindhouse. That's because as far as entertainment goes, I feel this part was far superior. Great schlock horror moments and humor are all over this homage to crappy zombie flicks. The gun-legged heroine is also classic.
Photobucket

4. Smokin' Aces-
I think this movie was unfairly labeled as a Tarantino rip-off too soon. I thought it had a great mix of drama, action and humor. Jeremy Piven is awesome as Buddy "Aces" Israel, along with a strong supporting cast. And despite an over-dramatic climax, this was one of my favorites this year for sure.
Photobucket

3. Knocked Up-
A great comedy that also has a lot of heart. It nicely balances the brash humor and tender moments. This movie cements Judd Apatow and Seth Rogan as the current comedy heavyweights in Hollywood.
Photobucket

2. 28 Weeks Later-
An outstanding sequel to an already fantastic zombie flick. A no-holds-barred horror film that satisfies from beginning to end.
Photobucket

1. No Country For Old Men-
This movie is on every top 10 list for a reason. It was simply awesome.
Read my original review here.
Photobucket


I wanted to note a few movies that were released very late last year that deserve mention. I didn't include them because they were from last year technically, but I wasn't able to see them until this year.

Pan's Labyrinth-
Guillermo Del Toro's beautiful fairy tale for adults was a fantastic look at a small girl's imagination. When contrasted with the harsh realty of the outside world, her imagined one looked that much more staggering.
Photobucket

Children of Men-
An apocalyptic future without robots or androids, just a feeling of hopelessness amongst an infertile population. That's what makes this tale more realistic than most sci-fi thrillers. Utilizing some of the best, and subtle, special effects seen in film this year. This movie would have easily made the top of my list.
Photobucket

Honorable mentions: Eastern Promises, The Bourne Ultimatum, We Own The Night, Zodiac, Ratatouille, Sicko, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer






Then there's the rest. I thankfully couldn't think of 10 movies I wanted to kill myself after seeing, but there were a few. Whether they were major disappointments, or just bad to begin with, they made my naughty list this year. In no particular order...

The Mist- Just crappy. Period. Read my original review here.
Photobucket

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium- Dustin Hoffman has fallen a long way hasn't he? And what the hell is Natalie Portman and Jason Bateman doing in this crap?
Photobucket

Mr. Brooks- I knew this would be bad, so shame on me for seeing it.
Photobucket

The Invasion-
Who knew a movie about alien body snatchers could be so incredibly boring?
Photobucket

Vacancy-
Scary only if you're completely delusional about how reality works. I was actually angry at how stupid this movie thinks you are.Photobucket

Ghost Rider-
Nicolas Cage as a stuntman with a flaming head who fights demons with a chain, what could've gone wrong? Answer: everything.
Photobucket


Resident Evil: Extinction-
Hopefully this title is accurate. Read my original review here.
Photobucket

Spider-Man 3-
Disappointment of the year, hands down. This should have been an easy slam dunk. Instead we got the Sandman doing his best Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man impression and Tobey Maguire dancing like an idiot. One of the saddest days of the year.
Photobucket

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Central California and have a career in graphic design. I also do part time stand-up comedy and like to play music in my spare time.