Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Winners

Photobucket

The Oscars aired last night and for once I actually watched it in it's entirety. I was pleased also with almost every winner this time. I am still angry over Crash winning two years ago for Best Picture. A few of the winners that I was happy to see:

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
Falling Slowly for the film ONCE by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

Photobucket

I was glad to see this win over the three(?!) songs nominated from Enchanted. This movie was fantastic and if you haven't seen it I highly recommend you do. It was one of my favorite movies from last year and the soundtrack is great as well.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Javier Bardem in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Photobucket

I was hoping for Bardem to win along with most everyone else who's seen him in what I felt was the best movie of last year. Though I would have liked to see Josh Brolin get nominated, he was outstanding in this movie as well.

Photobucket
Strangely enough, after the Oscars, I was able to finally watch The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. If it weren't for Bardem's nomination, I would have been pulling for Casey Affleck to win. He was quite remarkable in that film and definitely out-acted Brad Pitt every step of the way. I wasn't even that impressed by Affleck at all before this, even in Gone Baby Gone. But now I'm curious what else he can do.

BEST ACTOR:
Daniel Day Lewis in THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Photobucket

This award couldn't have and shouldn't have gone to anyone else. Daniel Day Lewis turned in such a memorable performance and had I seen this movie last year, it would have made runner-up for my movies of the year.

BEST DIRECTOR/BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR:
The Coen Brothers/NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Photobucket

I was confident that this would win and I'm very glad that it did. This is the first movie that made me actually believe all the praise that the Coen Brothers seem to receive. While I enjoyed movies like Fargo and Raising Arizona, they've never really knocked my socks off in quite the same way they did with No Country. I'm hoping they do more films like this in the future.

Overall, it was actually a pretty good ceremony. I enjoyed Jon Stewart as the host again, as he seems somewhat disconnected from the typical Hollywood machine unlike past hosts. I was particularly impressed when he called back out Best Song winner Marketa Irglova after she was unfairly cut off before she could give any acceptance speech. In a way defying the limit winners are given to talk before they're cued to exit the stage. It was a great moment in a normally mundane ceremony. For a complete list of winners click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

definitely a good Oscars! Its better when you've personally seen pretty much everything that is nominated, but that can get hard too. I would say though that I liked Gone Baby Gone better than Assassination overall. Hmm

Anonymous said...

it kinda freaks me out that your Blog photo/alter ego/comic character guy is smoking a cigarette...

Dane said...

A. Gone Baby Gone was boring. Even more than AJJCRF.

B. Better than me smoking in real life.

sherine said...

s this the place to gain confidence:)

About Me

My photo
I live in Central California and have a career in graphic design. I also do part time stand-up comedy and like to play music in my spare time.