Thursday, September 13, 2007

Music Spotlight: Spoon


This week's featured band is Spoon, an indie rock band from Austin, Texas. They recently released the album "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga", which debuted at #10 on the Billboard charts back in July. The band has been recording for well over a decade, slowly building a loyal following. Spoon was signed then dumped from Elektra Records around 1998, only to pull through with more and more successful albums. I had the opportunity to hear their latest release and I've enjoyed it quite a bit.



Here is a quote on their new album from Rolling Stone:

"spiky, painstakingly detailed songs that deliver indie-pop payloads in less than four minutes, with minor frills like Motown bass lines, barrelhouse piano and streamlined dance grooves. Britt Daniel employs his soulful, sandpaper-rough croon and jagged little hooks like a man on a mission, and you'll be glad to have killer cuts like sweet, funk-pumped "Finer Feelings" or the horn-laden sing-along "The Underdog" bouncing around your head."

And here is the video for their single "The Underdog"



3 comments:

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

I couldn't decide when I first saw it, whether I loved or hated the Underdog video, what are your thoughts on it?

Dane said...

I think it's a bit typical actually, I mainly like the song itself.

About Me

My photo
I live in Central California and have a career in graphic design. I also do part time stand-up comedy and like to play music in my spare time.